August 31, 2011

My Talented Friends

What would you do/be if you could do/be anything in the world?

One of my answers is to be a rock star. No joke. Well... maybe not the star part but at least be a part of a band and write some cool songs, rock out on a stage with an electric or drums or piano, have a million people in the crowd sing along with you, you know. My only barriers are that:
  1. I'm limited in my creativity when it comes to writing songs (it has to "come" to me... but rarely does this happen).
  2. I don't actually know how to play electric. I can play acoustic but only strumming chords and not so much the finger picking which is where the cool riffs come from. I've dabbled on the drums but can't say I'm any good. And piano, well... maybe there's some hope there ;)
  3. I can't sing... all that well.
However, I am surrounded by friends who are good at all three and it's pretty cool to think that one day they may make it big.




Jose Andres is a friend from when I went to Panama on a mission's trip with Campus for Christ 3 years ago. He is a very talented man and I have thoroughly enjoyed his album which you can download for free here.








This song is my favorite out of the bunch.





ZEROlios
This is a band in which my friend, Oliver, who is also Panamanian, started up some years ago. The name means, "no problem." They have a pretty sweet music video and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them. Oliver is the main vocals and guitar. His brother, Jesus, and friend, Randi, are also guys I got to know while in Panama.




Wool on Wolves
I lived in rez for my first two years of attending the U of A in Edmonton and in my second year, there was this guy named Brody who lived on the same floor as me. Him and his friends started this band up later in their university career. I remember enjoying their music but thinking they needed to polish things up a bit. They've come a long way and I'm quite impressed. It was a pleasant surprise when I saw their tour poster on one of the streetlamp poles as I was walking home from the bus stop. I think I'm working the day they play in Vancouver which is unfortunate but for those who are here and are free that night, you should check them out.

This video brings back so many memories of when I lived in Edmonton. It's fun to recognize a lot of the scenery. Oh, the nostalgia!





Adam Robert Thomas
I got to know Adam through the church I attend here in Vancouver. He is a very talented musician but I have to sadly admit that I have yet to see him live despite the fact that he performs fairly frequently. My excuse is that school took over my life for 2 years... Anyway, he is performing on Sept 8 at the Jazz Cellar if any of you want to listen to some spectacular jazz. Unfortunately I'm working a night shift so I will miss seeing him again. Le sigh...

No comments: